
Ward 3
Transit Survey
Calgary Transit has proposed route changes and express bus cancellations in North Central Calgary. We want to hear from you - share your feedback by June 5, 2026.
Transit Changes - What's Happening?
Earlier this year, Calgary Transit announced plans to phase out the ten remaining express bus routes across the city. The changes are part of a broader rebalancing of transit resources, with the goal of shifting service toward higher-demand areas and underserved communities, and aligning with the long-term vision set out in RouteAhead. Half of the express routes being phased out city-wide serve Ward 3, meaning our communities are impacted more than most.
North Central Calgary has some of the highest transit ridership in the city, with many routes already operating beyond capacity. Councillor Yule has been clear that before any express routes are retired in Ward 3, the 301/MAX Green BRT must be fully implemented with the frequency and capacity needed to meet current demand. Calgary Transit has acknowledged that removing express routes without those capacity investments would make overcrowding worse.
In March, The City of Calgary conducted engagement through the North Central Transit Service Review, allowing residents to weigh in on proposed route changes and take a comprehensive look at Ward 3's transit needs, including BRT capacity, MAX Green overcrowding, feeder route frequency, and whether additional routes or service changes were needed.

Ward 3 Engagement
With that context in mind, in April, members of the Ward 3 team rode each of the five express routes serving the area: 62 Hidden Valley, 64 MacEwan, 109 Harvest Hills, 116 Coventry Hills, and 142 Panorama. During both morning and afternoon commutes, we spoke with more than 50 riders across the transit network, making an effort to hear from people of different ages, backgrounds, and ridership needs. We asked what was and wasn't working with transit in North Central Calgary, and how people felt about the proposed changes Calgary Transit was recommending.
Most riders were aware that cancellations were being planned but didn't know exactly when. Very few knew that in-person consultations had already taken place in March, and only two of the roughly 50 people we spoke with had attended those sessions.
We've heard from many Ward 3 residents about the proposed transit changes, and want to hear from more of you. If you ride these routes and want a say in what comes next, please fill out our online survey before June 5. Your feedback will directly inform how Councillor Yule best advocates to Calgary Transit on your behalf.
What We've Heard So Far
Riders oppose the express route cancellations, but understand efficiency concerns
None of the riders we spoke with or residents who have written our office supported cancelling the express routes. Some acknowledged that cutting genuinely inefficient routes could make sense in principle, but they don't believe their routes fit that description. The ridership we observed mostly agrees: most seats were filled by 64th Ave on nearly every route, and standing room only was common well before downtown.
Transfers only work with short, reliable waits
Riders across every route said they could accept a transfer if the connecting bus comes quickly. Most said five minutes is ideal; ten minutes is their outer limit. Beyond that, the unpredictability becomes a reason to drive instead of using transit. Reliability matters more than travel time - getting to work consistently on time is worth more than shaving a few minutes off the overall trip.
Max Green capacity is the biggest concern
This came up on every single route and in most emails. Riders say the Max Green is already over capacity - multiple buses pass some stops without being able to stop and take on more passengers because they're full well before they reach Hidden Valley or MacEwan. Adding thousands of displaced express bus riders to that route without significant capacity increases makes the whole plan feel unworkable. Several riders said they've regularly watched three buses pass them before being able to board.
Winter conditions make every concern worse
Riders are willing to give the new system some benefit of the doubt on a warm April day. But almost everyone pointed out that their real experience of these changes will be defined by January, not April. Waiting in the cold for a transfer that may already be full, crossing busy streets between stops, and relying on buses running late in snow - these are the scenarios they're dreading most. The 78th Ave transfer point was raised specifically: riders will need to cross two streets between the loop and the southbound stop, which feels manageable in sunshine, but increasingly dangerous in the winter.
Communication has fallen short
Riders were frustrated that they found out about potential cancellations through word of mouth or by accident rather than from Calgary Transit directly. There were no notices on the buses themselves. QR codes appeared at some stops but not others. No schedule information accompanied the route maps. A resident cited calling Calgary Transit directly to ask about their route being cancelled, and was told Transit had no information on the route being retired. Many riders had already written to the Ward 3 and Mayor's offices, but felt the process hadn't been designed with their participation in mind.
What Comes Next
While we can't be certain of the final outcome, we want to ensure riders' voices are part of the process, and advocating for adjustments to what's being proposed where it matters most. Our office continues to hear that some of the proposed changes may improve connectivity across the network, but many have been flagged with real concerns. If these changes affect your commute, please take our survey before June 5, 2026.
